Friday, June 24, 2011

New Brake Pads.. Vibration Issues Solved

Next up on the list of updates, is brake pads! I had vibrations at the steering wheel when braking hard. I initially thought the rotors were warped. So I decided to contact LYN forumer maddriver (whos an ex-really driver and currently a mechanic near The Mines) to check up on my brakes. After testing and checking out the rotors, he said that the rotors don’t need skimming. I have already decided to skim the rotors and change the pads, but since he said the rotors didn’t need skimming, I just changed the pads since the old pads, although still thick, weren’t biting that well.

I chose the Rapid Stop 550C pads. The main reason I chose this is coz they’re cheap. RM280 for EK9 pads with install. Unlike the Endless etc which could go up to RM500 and above. But I still do intend on getting higher end pads from Endless or EBC. For now, the RS pads will suffice. I have yet to take the pads to track, heck, I have yet to take Banshee to track. So I can only give feedback on normal day to day use which will come after the pix.

The box itself is faily simple.



Picture of the pads both inner and outer.


And here are the pads sitting behind muh X.


If you’ve never heard of Rapid Stop pads before, its probably because the pads are local (if im not mistaken). One of the reasons why theyre so cheap. I’m not sure who makes them but one of the main dealers is LYN former maddriver which is who I got it from. And if you go to the RAPID STOP WEBSITE you can see the list of other dealers on the “Where To Buy” tab. As you can see, the list of dealers include some pretty well known workshops in Malaysia and also includes our very own rally champion Karamjit Singh! The pricelist and model availability is also on their website. I like this. Everything is out in the open and transparent. So prices should be the same almost everywhere.

As for the pads, maddrivers feedback when I asked about them is that the 550c pads should be able to last for about 10 laps around SIC where it will start to fade. The 800c pads were not really suitable for daily use as it squeals and eats discs but absolutely great for all out revving on track.

As for my own feedback, I like these pads. They work great even when cold. Unlike most other performance pads (which included my cheapo Bendix Metal King in my old EF civic 9 years ago) which needed to be heated up before they’ll bite. The bite itself is about as much as I’d expect (though a lil less than what I'd like, but close enough). I cant compare them to other brands as I’ve never used other brands on this car. And I cant compare them to the old pads (which were Akibono or something like that) coz those pads were burnt, which is why it didn’t bite so well.

Anyway, after installing the pads, the vibration on the steering wheel has gone. So my rotor wasn’t warped and it was just brake pad judder. Phew.

Just one downside of these pads.. sometimes after some REALLY hard revving and REALLY hard last minute braking, I find that they fade a lil too soon. Makes me wonder about the SIC 10 laps claim honestly. But for day to day and occasional revving. They are absolutely bang for buck!

Slotted (and mebbe crossdrilled) rotors are still in the planning. I do intend to install them one day but will have to find some suitable ones. And more importantly have to find the marneeeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment