Tuesday, June 15, 2010

R.I.P Raisa 1991-2010

You know the saying that goes “No parent should ever have to bury their child”? Well today I felt something very similar.

Today, June 15th, 2010 at 5.35pm, while I was at work, I got a call from my sister that shattered my world…..

My baby girl, my lover, my sweetness, my precious, my life of 19 (yes, nineteen) years was found dead by my mom at 5.30pm under a coffee table at home. She died of natural causes due to her age.

She has had chronic renal (kidney) failure since December. She was doing so well at first, up to a point where Dr. Netto of UPM PJ even doubted her renal failure, but about a month ago she started getting worse. We were told in December by a doctor at UPM Serdang veterinary that it’s common for chronic renal failures to be stable, and suddenly start to take a turn for the worse. That means the end is coming soon and all we could do is keep her as comfortable as possible.

Raisa has been the most precious and most loyal cat anyone has ever met. She has been my life for 19 years. And I thank Allah for giving me the opportunity to have her. I thank Allah even more for the fact that she loved me most and was most loyal to me. She was MY cat, and I am proud to admit that I am her human.

I also thank the vets at UPM PJ, especially Dr. Netto, and Dr. Loh and Dr. Vijay of Healing Rooms, Subang for taking great care of her whenever we came to visit.

The past month has been heartbreaking to see her slowly degrade on a day to day basis. But in the end, it can’t be helped. Her age has caught up to her. And her age caught up to her all in one go. Early December, she was healthy, cheerful, playful and full of energy. And when she got sick, her age just came crashing down on her. She lost a whole lot of weight, her senility was so obvious, and we also think she turned deaf. She was lethargic and moved slowly and could barely balance herself on her legs. Just like an old person.

Vets said she wasn’t in pain. She wasn’t suffering. So we did the best we could for her to keep her comfortable, to ensure she eats, to give her medication etc etc.

I am grateful that she died at home. Her home. A place where she knew everyone cared and loved her. Its so much better than her disappearing to some dark corner somewhere and dying without anyone ever knowing.

I buried her in a nice hidden corner in the garden under some shady flowers and trees. My mom is planning to plant flowers on her grave. Something unique and different coz she deserves it.

You, Raisa, have given me the best time of my life. I am happiest when I’m with you. Even when my life was in turmoil, your presence alone brought me peace. You were my guardian angel, you watched over my sleep, and even used to wake me up when its time to go to work. I don’t know what I’ll do without you as you are the most important thing to me. Thank you love, for 19 wonderful years. You are irreplaceable.

Rest In Peace my precious. I love you so very much. And I miss you so much already.



2 comments:

  1. It was soooo touching reading about how u r so connected with RAISA! I feel you!

    My deepest and warmest condolences to you dear cousin!

    Stay strong ok!

    Love - NINA AF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen
    I was really touched reading your blog. You wrote so well expressing your feeling. I am proud of you. Yong almost shed tears reading your blog. We all love Raisa and miss her, even Mok, who is so lonely now. I planted pretty flowers already - red at the head and yellow at the feet. I love Raisa too and remember, I love you more.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete